From The Client Wisdom Blog Published by MBT More Business Today LLC
What does mindfulness mean to you? The first words that pop into my mind and those I have heard from clients are:
Now add the words business or leadership after the word mindful. Mindful business means to be thoughtful about what? Mindful leadership means to be aware of what?
Some leaders choose to be careful to bring awareness and inclusiveness to their teams. Some business people are mindful of how they balance building relationships with producing outstanding work product, and being careful to understand the company’s and the individual contacts’ needs.
Here is an exercise to help you define mindful, mindful business, and mindful leadership for yourself.
- Grab your favorite notebook and your favorite pen. My beautiful journal is etched in colorful flowers with a black background. I choose to write with a smooth, gel liquid pen that holds black ink. Think about the writing implements and surroundings that bring you peace and creativity. What will you choose?
- Now, what words come to mind for you when you think of mindful business and mindful leadership? There are some examples above. Which ring true for you or what else would you add to your list?
- Reflect on how these words influence your actions. Write out your thoughts until you feel you have finished. For some people, it could take five minutes. For some, it may take two hours. Do not worry about the time. It will take as long as you need it to take.
- Shelve your notes for one day. If it is helpful for you, put an appointment on the calendar for yourself to return to the exercise.
- The next day, read through your notes. Adjust them until they best reflect your thoughts and your commitment to your mindful business and leadership approach.
- Write down three things you will do, change, or stop doing to align with your commitment.
Remember, the power to be a successful business person and leader is in your own mind. You define the terms. You execute on the commitment you have made.